Monday, June 29, 2009

Mountains and Molehills


I need to get into shape. Seriously. While teaching can drain your energy, it’s not exactly going to turn you into a body builder. With that in mind, I decided to engage in a little of South Korea’s favorite outdoor activity. No, I’m not talking about badminton (although it is a pretty close second) I’m talking about hiking.

On any given weekend around Seoul…(remember the u is not silent) you will find people geared up for hiking. Decked out in North Face from head to toe, the Korean have explorer hats, backpacks, hiking poles, gortex pants and hiking boots. With all this state of the art gear you’d think they are taking on massive challenge. When I hike Si and Tiger I’m sporting an old cap, t-shirt, shorts and a backpack that dates back to at least Jr High. Since the Koreans invested so much money in their equipment…they must be up to some truly grueling hiking.

Sadly…no…

What they call mountains in Korea, I call hills. The “mountain” that we climbed towered a few hundred meters. Again…I think I’m spoiled having grown up in Washington. Where a 30 minute drive put me at Mt Si..a real hike...not like these vertically challenged Korean mountains.



Well the view was nice and I hope to see a real mountain on my upcoming vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling you will NOT be disappointed with Mount Fuji. I saw it from the air last time I flew to the mainland, and it's gorgeous. Looks like a pretty decent hike, too.

    And yes, you are spoiled from living in Washington. Go to the East Coast and they think speed bumps are mountains. Wimps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backpacks are all full of soju, too.

    ReplyDelete